Friday, April 25, 2014

PUPPPs in my second pregnancy - the rare return

"Can PUPPP recur with future pregnancies?
This is very uncommon. If it occurs the PUPPP is likely to be milder."
-citation http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/puppp.html

Ha.

It is commonly cited that between .5% and up to 1% of pregnant women may suffer PUPPPs. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention there were 4,058,000 live births in the US each year (July 2013). I did not include pregnancies that ended in miscarriages nor terminations as those mostly occur early in pregnancy before PUPPPs is likely to occur. So using the high end of the range, 1% of 4,058,000 is 40,580 and on the low end that is about 20,000 women suffering from PUPPPs in a given year in the US. 

Once I told my PUPPPs story, I discovered a childhood neighbor who suffered PUPPPs in her first pregnancy and a college friend who suffered PUPPPs in her first full-term pregnancy. I had never heard of it before my diagnosis in my first pregnancy.

When I asked the doctors about recurrence, they said it usually only occurs in first pregnancies and with multiples. However, given my extreme case they would not give me any guarantees.

I took some hope in the overall odds, the law of averages and the fact the websites like those quoted above said if it did recur, it should be milder.

Ha.

Pregnancy number two, I looked over at my husband at week 18 and "uh-oh, I am starting to feel itchy." It didn't progress very quickly, but by 21 weeks bumps started to appear and by 25 I had the familiar wheels of itchy red raised streaks surrounding my belly button. And they grew alarmingly fast so that by 26 weeks I was aggressively seeking treatment to stop its spread.

Not only was I getting PUPPPs in my second pregnancy, I was getting it earlier and with more severity. What are the odds of that?

No really, I'd like to know. And I can't seem to find any information about how many women have recurrence. All I know is anecdotal evidence from others like myself exists on question boards and Facebook threads across the internet. It does seem rare but I have been unable to quantify that rarity.

I felt unlucky in the first pregnancy and now I feel afflicted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment